All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 10 posts ] 
 Post subject: This Sites Objectives ?
Unread postPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2011 1:43 am 
Approved Member

Position: New Member
Just a quick question about how this site functions

We submitted to the site a possible sighting over 2 months ago, which has never been published. It was only of tracks, etc, and understandable it could be considered of not enough credibility (we didn't hear anything back, so didn't bother with a couple of other ones we could have submitted). Yet 2 months later we've just received an email from someone wanting to follow up on it (and thats great).

Reading through posts we've noticed there are a lot of references to reported sightings that aren't published, but one of the site owners 'has files' on.

So how does this site work ? We thought the site was about everyone sharing sightings, or possible sightings, however small, with everyone else interested ? But we get the impression many reported sightings are held back (for the sole use of the site owners?), and not shared with the public, or even site members ?

Personally, when we're going somewhere we'd like to be able to check out what sightings, or possible sightings, have occurred in that area over the years, before we go (or after we get back, if we saw or heard something), and thought this was the site to do that on. But clearly all those that are being reported to the site are not being shared with everyone ? It also makes it hard for anyone else, other than those with exclusive access to all the submitted sightings, to make any sort of 'plots' of areas and possible hotspots of activity.

Is that a fair comment and question ? We just thought we'd ask whether this site shares all the sightings submitted or not, and so is essentially is a private one or public ?

Post subject: Re: This Sites Objectives ?
Unread postPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2011 7:57 am 
Long Time Contributor

Howdy
Quote:
So how does this site work ?

Dont forget.."we" are just a loose group of friends and not a machine like company.. (uh uh)
Some of the sightings get shared amongst different members/some on the board etc..the sheer volumne sometimes,plus time/money/interest etc would decide on many reports.

Quote:
We thought the site was about everyone sharing sightings, or possible sightings, however small, with everyone else interested ?

It is..if people want to join they can report anything they like on a public board..but..if "joe public" sends us a "I think I saw a yowie 10 years ago at XXX spot"..often..that will not get posted here on the board or in the files section.
Quote:
But we get the impression many reported sightings are held back (for the sole use of the site owners?), and not shared with the public, or even site members ?

Correct..because of time/possible privacy/inanity of the report/there is no "requirement" on us to place all/majority of reports in public /lack of interest on our part/similarity of reports/lack of anything that is going to get anyone anywhere with posting loads of vague/old reports etc....and..we dont want people to know we have the frozen body of the yowie on ice and just waiting for the "right moment".. (jest)
Quote:
Personally, when we're going somewhere we'd like to be able to check out what sightings, or possible sightings,

You will find that a hell of a lot of sightings/witness reports..gathered through this site over the years..were passed on to Cropper and healy for both their books.
If someone is as keen as yourself, then we assume that they you would have their books.?

Quote:
But clearly all those that are being reported to the site are not being shared with everyone ?

Correct.."we" dont have the time/desire..if we had paid staff..no problem..
The books referred to above give people a good outline of "hot" areas..

Quote:
It also makes it hard for anyone else, other than those with exclusive access to all the submitted sightings, to make any sort of 'plots' of areas and possible hotspots of activity.

See books above..and judging by the trickle of "evidence" coming from the "hot spots"..I would not be too worried..
Quote:
Is that a fair comment and question ?

Yes..it was
And I have given you a fair reply..
(happy)
Quote:
We just thought we'd ask whether this site shares all the sightings submitted or not, and so is essentially is a private one or public ?

It is both..like every other site on virtually every other fringe topic..

Mike

Unread postPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2011 9:23 am 
AYR Webmaster
 WWW  Profile

Position: Field Researcher
Facebook Profile Page: http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id= ... ef=profile
Not clear of which sighting you are referring to. Was this an actual sighting or prints - your message was somewhat ambiguous.

As Mike says, we receive a large amount of reports and they are constant. Not everything is added to the site immediately, and quite often we don’t highlight some because we are either working with the witnesses or have been asked to keep it to ourselves.

We hold a massive amount of information that that is yet to be added to the site from the 1800's to three days ago. Simply a time issue.

By all means, feel free to share your encounter here on the board. I'm sure everyone here will be most interested.

DMH

The closure of people's minds, understandings and boundaries are subject to either current environmental pressures brewed by ignorance or insecurities sculptured by pre-environmental education whereby they know no better - Dean Harrison

Unread postPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2011 8:47 pm 
Approved Member

Appreciate your replies, but surely its just a matter of pressing a button 'publish/not publish' when sightings are submitted ? That doesn't need paid staff to operate.

So there have only been 3 sightings in the whole state of Queensland reported since the beginning of 2009 ? That's either not a lot of recent sightings being made, or a not a lot being published ?

Unread postPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2011 9:27 pm 
AYR Webmaster
 WWW  Profile

Position: Field Researcher
Facebook Profile Page: http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id= ... ef=profile
Tfk. I say innocuously, there is no magic button of 'Publish'.

Further to the perceived Publish Button, we also have Protocol.

We hope you the enjoy the information you receive here via our Forum.

I am sure everybody here is still waiting to hear about your Encounter that you stated was sent, along with the print photos.

Again, feel free to share, as sharing your encounter was the premise to your initial Post.

Regards,

DMH

The closure of people's minds, understandings and boundaries are subject to either current environmental pressures brewed by ignorance or insecurities sculptured by pre-environmental education whereby they know no better - Dean Harrison

Unread postPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2011 9:30 pm 
Gold Status - Frequent Poster

Position: Unsure
tfk;

You raise some valid points. If I may also add my couple pennies worth..... the inflated ones, so don't put too much worth on anything I say. (lol)

Consider that this site is a service to the "community" that is a rare non-sceptical site. If you have a sighting or other information, I would be extremely interested if you could take the time to shortcut the process and share your information on the board for all of us to view. Also, I would be interested in knowing if this information is current, or how long ago it took place and if you are involved in currently looking for more information in the field.

The reason I say this is because if you had a sighting, saw prints of some type or heard something, you are truly in a small, special group of people. We have just returned from a location that is a "hotspot" for sightings and still remain in that larger group of people who see the "evidence" presented and still believe in the distinct possibility of existance without confirmation...... Unless I count the guy in the pub out in Pilliga who told me he was a yowie...... while working on his nice glass of fortified wine.. (jest) He did bear a striking resemblance to the cover of Healy & Croppers book cover and I almost believed him ! (lol) .

Welcome to the board, I hope you feel free to share your experiences.

Cheers
NoPolys

"There are two kinds of people in the world: Those who can infer concepts from incomplete information." -unknown-

Unread postPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2011 10:39 pm 
Gold Status - Frequent Poster
 WWW  Profile

Position: Paranormal Researcher
Welcome tfk

This is often a recurring theme and I think Mike and Dean have gone over it in adequate detail. I will just throw in a titbit - sometimes its a case of not being sure if certain material is worth putting up. There was a classic example for me a little while back when I was discussing with Dean about whether to show some particular material or not. We were a tiny bit excited... definitely intrigued about the material... and so eventually Dean decided to put it up. Although we had been quite interested it garnered almost zero interest on the forums. In hindsight, I can`t help but have a laugh to myself about the whole thing!

In terms of active areas I`d hate to sound cliche but I think your best bet is hotspot areas..... at the end of the day its just chance, being in the right place at the right time. I have had a couple of frustrating experiences of being in an area where there were sightings a short time before or after my being there.... on one occasion it was within a couple of hours! The fact that there was a sighting or activity was totally unknown to me at the time and I didn`t learn about the occurrence until many weeks later.... from sources who were not aware I had been in the area! Even if you are in a highly active area it still often comes down to chance. I think anywhere on or connected to the great dividing range has the potential to be an active area. One thing I have noticed with a lot of areas/properties/parks that have activity is they often have bush corridors linking them to greater wilderness areas. Almost every site of activity I have been to has shared this trait. One thing that has surprised me is that several reports of active areas have been quite close to large residential areas, but these areas have had these corridors of bushland which run right into them. I think this is a key factor. The Gold Coast/Blue Mountains are classic examples but there are many other areas with similar characteristics running up and down the eastern seaboard of Oz. I hope that is of some assistance?

If one can`t attack the data, attack the people, it is easier!
Do one`s research by proclamation; investigation is too much trouble.

Unread postPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2011 8:21 am 
Long Time Contributor

Quote:
We submitted to the site a possible sighting over 2 months ago, which has never been published.

We have gone through our emails....we have found no report from you.
As we have said..it a matter of time/energy/interest etc...
But that works both ways.. (happy)
For instance...you have not had time/energy/interest to simply post your experiences here on the board. (thumb)
Try and grab Cropper`s book and good luck with your interest..!!

Unread postPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2011 3:41 pm 
Approved Member

Thanks for your replies.

Something tells us to not post again, and walk away at this point and follow our interest on our own. But, (ignoring the judgemental/condescending comments made), we'll try again to drag this thread back to the original point one last time: the free and open sharing of information on the internet.

Don't understand where all the constant references to 'vague old reports' come from. We have only been talking about the last 2-3 years ?

Quote:
Quote:
We submitted to the site a possible sighting over 2 months ago, which has never been published.

We have gone through our emails....we have found no report from you.
As we have said..it a matter of time/energy/interest etc...
But that works both ways.. (happy)
For instance...you have not had time/energy/interest to simply post your experiences here on the board. (thumb)
Try and grab Cropper`s book and good luck with your interest..!!

That's the point of our original post. We DID take the time/have the energy/were interested enough to submit a report on AYRs 'Report a Sighting' page.

3 months later it hadn't been published, so we assumed whoever sees these deemed it not worthy of sharing with others on the 'Reports\Sightings' page, and hence the obvious conclusion we shouldn't bother submitting anymore such sightings (we've been to Springbrook numerous times). But, in the last week we were contacted about it, and so we stared wondering if it is of some use, why didn't it get added to the 'Reports\Sightings' page, and wondering just how many more reports are made and never shared ? Surely there has to be a lot more reported sightings in Qld in the last 3 years than the 3 shared ?

Quote:
Quote:
Personally, when we're going somewhere we'd like to be able to check out what sightings, or possible sightings,

You will find that a hell of a lot of sightings/witness reports..gathered through this site over the years..were passed on to Cropper and healy for both their books.
If someone is as keen as yourself, then we assume that they you would have their books.?

Every time we decide to go away for a weekend to a location, we don't want to have to re-read books to see if there have been sightings at that specific location. (important point...) The first time we found this site was prior to going away googling if there had been any activity nearby, and stumbling upon the AYR site via the 'Reports\Sightings' page. As a professional website developer, I can tell you those sorts of pages in a site are Gold when it comes to traffic. We returned many times and spent hours reading through the reports, way before looking at any forum chat.

Quote:
Quote:
We thought the site was about everyone sharing sightings, or possible sightings, however small, with everyone else interested ?

It is..if people want to join they can report anything they like on a public board..but..if "joe public" sends us a "I think I saw a yowie 10 years ago at XXX spot"..often..that will not get posted here on the board or in the files section.

I guess that partly explains things. That the 'Reports/Sightings' pages are considered a low priority compared to forum postings, whereas we see it as the most useful.

Quote:
Quote:
But we get the impression many reported sightings are held back (for the sole use of the site owners?), and not shared with the public, or even site members ?

Correct..because of time/possible privacy/inanity of the report/there is no "requirement" on us to place all/majority of reports in public /lack of interest on our part/similarity of reports/lack of anything that is going to get anyone anywhere with posting loads of vague/old reports etc.

And that explains the other part.

Unread postPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2011 4:19 pm 
Long Time Contributor

Quote:
But, (ignoring the judgemental/condescending comments made), we'll try again to drag this thread back to the original point one last time: the free and open sharing of information on the internet.

Its all in the eye of the beholder..if you have a problem.,..you will project that onto the actions of others..
We have wasted our time replying to you politely..
You see that as " judgemental/condescending"..how bizarre...
You have made 6 posts here..3 complaining about passwords..amd 3 repeating this new whinge..
Yet at no time have you bothered just posting your sighting here like a normal person..

Quote:
we'll try again to drag this thread back to the original point one last time: the free and open sharing of information on the internet.

Sigh..yep..its so tiresome having to repeat oneself isnt it??..imagine how we feel.. (uh uh)
You didnt understand any of the original answers...so why you feel compelled to ask the same questions again is beyond me..
Thanks for the heads up about "free and open sharing"..6 posts from you an you shared what with us..??

Quote:
We have only been talking about the last 2-3 years ?
That's the point of our original post. We DID take the time/have the energy/were interested enough to submit a report on AYRs 'Report a Sighting' page.

And..for the last time..we did not get your "report"...what part of that dont you understand.?
And..for the last time..we have patiently listed several reasons why a specific area may not have more recent reports listed.
For some reason...you dont appear capable of understanding or accepting those very simple answers .. (sweat drop)

Quote:
3 months later it hadn't been published, so we assumed whoever sees these deemed it not worthy of sharing with others on the 'Reports\Sightings' page, and hence the obvious conclusion we shouldn't bother submitting anymore such sightings (we've been to Springbrook numerous times).

Read the replies..they could not be any clearer..
Matey..we have tried to help you repeatedly...you dont appear to understand simple english..repeat the same questions/whinge over and over...and share nothing but misplaced angst..
This useless thread is closed... (jest)

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 10 posts ]