Tree knocking survery

This board is open for all matters and discussions pertaining to the Australian Yowie. Please keep on topic in this forum.
AL Pitman
Long Time Contributor
Position: Field Researcher

Re: Tree knocking survery

Unread post by AL Pitman » Thu May 28, 2015 11:41 pm

Scarts
I think I know the sound of the frog that you may be thinking of , they can be found in rain forrested areas and especially among the hoop pines .
However they make this singular knocking type sound at any hour of the day and although similar do sound different if you know what it is you are listening for .
It is highly likely that some reports are the work of amphibians but the cycle of the relays to this thread do share some distinct commonality but once again it is a difficult thing to prove when only the witnesses hearing is all the evidence to go on .
It would be great to capture the act on camera . !!
IF YOU DO NOT LOOK YOU WILL NOT SEE

AL PITMAN

Bushbaby
Approved Member
Facebook Profile Page: http://www.facebook.com/bellarosez?ref=tn_tnmn

Unread post by Bushbaby » Fri Jul 17, 2015 6:17 pm

Hi, I had several months of tree knocking activity in June to about September in 2008.
At the time Yowie activity didn't dawn on me as my own encounter occurred about 100kms away and it wasn't until quite recently - reading about tree knocks on this forum - that I realised these sounds had been far too regular to be random 'bush noises' (such as tree branches cracking etc) or the result of human activity.
The tree knocking occurred very late afternoon - approximately 5.30 to 6.30pm and would occur every time I opened the sliding door onto my verandah to bring in the washing. They were very loud knocks. Standing in my kitchen right next to this door, meant that I would have heard these knocks from inside the house - but I never did. They only happened once I had stepped out onto the verandah and had slid the door shut.
The knocks came in 2s and 3s - all about one second apart and the pattern was repeated approximately every two minutes.
The distance was approximately 1km away - there was a steep half km descent from my yard down to a creek (thick scrub) and the knocks were emanating about half a kilometre up on the other side of the valley - lightly treed, some cattle and lots of swamp wallabies.
As I didn't equate the knocks with yowie activity, I didn't think to make any replying noise (Damn it! What an opportunity wasted)
Hate to say it but "I told ya so!"

ChrisJH
Position: Paranormal and Cryptozoology Researcher

Unread post by ChrisJH » Sun Jul 26, 2015 1:25 am

Can I ask a question - one that worries me incessantly ever since I saw wood knocking on (Not) Finding Bigfoot...

when was the phenomena of wood knocking first reported...

I hadn't heard of it before the BFRO started on about it perhaps 10 years ago ?? - is it recorded anywhere from before this time

what worries me is that there are a number of (the collective noun for people wo go out and look for Yowie/Bigfoot) ers all in the woods at various times, all of whom have seen/heard about wood knocking...

They see a suitable stick and a convenient tree and thing I wonder if there are any Yowie's / Bigfoots / Yetis / Sasquatch / Orang Pendek and so on around.........whack, whack

meanwhile some distance away..another (collective noun for people wo go out and look for Yowie/Bigfoot) er - or just interested member of the public having watched (Not) Finding Bigfoot and is having a barbie in the woods hears the knock and thinks his/ her luck is in, grabs a stick and pounds the hell out of a nearby tree

both go home happy - or scared twitless - that they have heard a Yowie Bigfoot beating the c**p out of a tree

I am not a sceptic on the topic in the slightest...but this aspect worries me - so

When were wood knocks first reported
Ok...Which one of you Bastards called this Bastard a Bastard (Bodyline 1984)

joff74
Approved Member

Unread post by joff74 » Thu Aug 06, 2015 11:30 pm

A birds beak against wood like a Kookie or Currawong or even some kind of owl if at night! What are you driving at, because yes i head them while camping in the bush but would have assumed birds beaks looking for insects in tree in dead wood.

Searcher
Long Time Contributor

Unread post by Searcher » Fri Aug 07, 2015 11:49 am

G’day joff74. Welcome to the forum.

Common sense suggests there would be a major difference between the sound of a small bird’s beak’s multiple impacts on a tree while searching for food compared with the powerful force of a probably large piece of timber smashing into a tree one, two or three times by an assumed Yowie perhaps weighing at least several hundred kilograms. A bird would weigh maybe one to two kilograms at the most.

ChrisJH, you make some good points. I would also be interested in when the first wood knocks were reported.

joff74
Approved Member

Unread post by joff74 » Fri Aug 07, 2015 4:21 pm

Silver status: Ah well there was nothing mentioned about decibel level of the sound just that they were any tree knocks OP wanted to know about.
Birds of the Kingfisher genus, Currawongs, Crows,Ravens, Owls ETC.. all have big enough beaks to make a large enough knocking on wood sound. What i heard in my case were simple hollow tree knocks on dead trees type thing.Not trees smashing into one another so common sense is not really the point mate just scale and size of the noise which OP has not stipulated. 8)

joff74
Approved Member

Unread post by joff74 » Sat Aug 08, 2015 10:34 am

Ok more details when and what time it happened just for the OP. It was my recent two day camping solo camping venture on the Six foot track Blue Mountains NSW.
It runs between Explorers tree just sth of Katoomba to Jenolan caves. This was the 2nd nigh out which i spent in Kanagra Boyd national park the section of track is called Black Range Road it s mostly a flat ridge above coxs river valley. It was only myself in my tent i on my back not sleeping at around 2am and only a couple of metres away heard two distinct consecutive tree knocks sounded like someone knocking on a log or dead tree branch of which there was one not far way. I did not go to investigate but yeh now OP has me thinking. Are you suggesting this is yowie behaviour? Was i being stalked.

Bunyip
Approved Member

Unread post by Bunyip » Tue Aug 11, 2015 11:35 am

Hi Ray, Recorded two series of woodknocks at the end of July near the Bimberi Wilderness. The first knocks were about 10 am and the second an hour later. Out of four days recording the knocks were the only thing significant.

https://youtu.be/MY1cvNuUB8U[url][/url]

Bunyip
Approved Member

Unread post by Bunyip » Tue Aug 11, 2015 11:40 am

Ray Doherty
Long Time Contributor
Position: Researcher
Facebook Profile Page: www.facebook.com/theaustralianyowieproject

Unread post by Ray Doherty » Thu Nov 05, 2015 10:21 am

HI

Sorry for the lengthy reply I have been terribly busy with work ad family, that link unfortunately doesn't work
is there another?

Regards

Ray
'I want to believe'

ChrisV
Long Time Contributor

Unread post by ChrisV » Fri Nov 06, 2015 7:27 am

I have always been challenged by the thought that a wood knock could be something else also.....
The Finding Bigfoot team always seem to catch a wood knock but I always have had the suspicion that there was something other person out there doing the knocking - either a set up or accidental. It just seems to easy.

Then on the other hand there are so many documented cases that seem plausible - maybe its just the tv show that makes it skeptical and could possible do damage to other witness reports.....

Ray Doherty
Long Time Contributor

Unread post by Ray Doherty » Sun Nov 08, 2015 2:32 pm

An interesting theory put to me sometime back is coud random wood knocks - especially in summer be in fact internal tree cracking?
but if wood is green it is moist and would only be more likely to do so if already dead. Im no expert on that but it was interesting
'I want to believe'

rodbenfield59
Bronze Status
Facebook Profile Page: Rod Benfield 61 Meiers rd Kingaroy

Unread post by rodbenfield59 » Sat Jan 23, 2016 9:15 pm

Hi guy's just thought i would wade in here a bit , i have listened to Some of Rusty's audio and you can't get much better and i have done the tree knocking thing as well but i was talking to a researcher from the states and he made a good point . What the heck are we saying or stirring up with these guy's when we don't no that this isn't a form of complicated communication only between these guy's .We could be telling them to come home to my place and have a feed on my pet cat or come beat the snot out of my mother in law you no what i mean , i would leave it alone until we work out what they are saying or if the tree knocks are harmless banter or warnings. We don't want to start something we can't finish.

Yowie bait
Long Time Contributor
Position: Believer

Unread post by Yowie bait » Sun Jan 24, 2016 12:12 pm

Im with you rodbenfield59. How do the woodknockers know what they are communicating with the knocking?You could be picking a fight with a 9ft monster or claiming his territory for yourself and at the very least interfering in their communication. Treeknockers could even be unknowingly communicating with each other which is a funny thought!
If it really is yowies knocking then they could be testing trees or logs for food like insect larvae or grubs as it seems these woodknocks arent very complicated and i cant see how it could be a communication other than a locating method. My two cents anyway.
Yowie Bait

macquariedave

Unread post by macquariedave » Sun Jan 24, 2016 4:48 pm

Yowie bait wrote:Im with you rodbenfield59. How do the woodknockers know what they are communicating with the knocking?You could be picking a fight with a 9ft monster or claiming his territory for yourself and at the very least interfering in their communication. Treeknockers could even be unknowingly communicating with each other which is a funny thought!
If it really is yowies knocking then they could be testing trees or logs for food like insect larvae or grubs as it seems these woodknocks arent very complicated and i cant see how it could be a communication other than a locating method. My two cents anyway.
Could wood knocks just be an indication of presence in the area from one sasquatch/yowie to any other one listening?

Yowie bait
Long Time Contributor

Unread post by Yowie bait » Sun Jan 24, 2016 6:09 pm

Yeah sounds good to me Macquariedave and makes more sense than my insect larvae comment. I just wouldnt do it in case i pissed off a yowie.
Yowie Bait

wellymon
Gold Status - Frequent Poster

Unread post by wellymon » Sun Jan 24, 2016 9:44 pm

macquariedave wrote:
Yowie bait wrote:Im with you rodbenfield59. How do the woodknockers know what they are communicating with the knocking?You could be picking a fight with a 9ft monster or claiming his territory for yourself and at the very least interfering in their communication. Treeknockers could even be unknowingly communicating with each other which is a funny thought!
Could wood knocks just be an indication of presence in the area from one sasquatch/yowie to any other one listening?
Hi MackiD,
IMO thats exactly what they are, when I heard the knocks it sounded like they wanted to know where each other were, without vocals involved.

I haven't heard them again since my last post, but have had notable action around my area a few weeks ago. Especially when the moon was waning of the quarter moon 2.1.16 to the new moon 10.1.16. Very dark bush.

rodbenfield59
Bronze Status
Facebook Profile Page: Rod Benfield 61 Meiers rd Kingaroy

Unread post by rodbenfield59 » Mon Jan 25, 2016 11:08 pm

That's it guy's just keep on knocking till the trees start a rockin maybe i will do my tree knocks in a group of about six or more with these guy's size matters LMAO (claps hands) (smart a**)

Ray Doherty
Long Time Contributor

Unread post by Ray Doherty » Tue May 10, 2016 10:29 pm

these are not bird beaks banging against a tree, if you have never heard them or the power of them then you cant understand then tell the difference
'I want to believe'